Search

Monday, October 21, 2013

PTO becomes DIY


Last week I planned to take Friday off so that I could accomplish a few things.  This is normally called personal time off (PTO) in corporate lingo speak.  I started the day with the intent of relaxing and possibly rewiring my home internet after dropping the kids off.  Note how surfing was not part of the plan because the pacific ocean has refused to produce waves for the last 60+ days.
Flat but beautiful

Flat but the sunset makes up for it


As I walked through the house mapping out my route, I noticed a puddle of water in the laundry room which made me scream like a man possessed.
Leak!

Most of you will remember the ordeal we went through when we had a leak in the kitchen that resulted in a whole remodel.

On closer inspection, I realized that the hot water heater was leaking.  I mopped up the water, turned off the mains and called the local plumber for a quote.
Operation Mop it up

I was quoted approximately $980.00 which included a new tank plus labour but they could only come in the next day (Saturday).  Cold showers are not a good option so I reluctantly scheduled it.

That evening, we joined our friends for some good old Friday night food and drinks and Smita casually brought up the topic about the heater.  Words cannot capture this accurately but before she could finish, Jim and TK had volunteered to do the job DIY style the very next day.  DIY was better than $980 so I accepted.


The video below shows the process and end result that cost $480 and I now know how to change a water heater myself!  I love my friends. 




No comments:

Post a Comment